Security within Kampala City, and the greater Kampala area has been tightened, with highly visible and non-visible manpower already in place, Uganda Police has revealed. This in time for the Non-Aligned Movement plus the G 77 +China summits starting today to 23rd January 2024.
There will be a hive of activity on the Entebbe Express way, that connects to Kampala from the airport, and disruptions to traffic have been planned for, according to Uganda Police spokesman Fred Enanga.
The summit route – The Kampala–Entebbe Express Way to Speke Resort Munyonyo – covers a stretch from Entebbe International Airport via Kajjansi Interchange. The corridor is expected to be tightly regulated with diversions and holding of traffic and other road users.
“Traffic police will hold traffic flow at other road junctions, access roads and regulate it according to the movement of delegates. We thus urge all motorists to comply with traffic police directives. No motorcycles will be allowed to access the summit route (Entebbe Airport to Speke Resort Munyonyo),” Enanga said.
Some boda boda stages along the summit routes and hotels where the visiting heads of states will be residing have been relocated and absorbed into other stages.
Enanga reassured visiting teams. “We have put in place a comprehensive security arrangement, that considers several dimensions, ranging from the Airport Security, Marine Security, management of Convoys, access controls, security at venues and hotels, close protection, aerial Surveillance for suspicious activity, first aid and quick medical response, crime prevention and proactive policing, public order management, and counter-terror measures, among others,” he said.
“To all Ugandans, this is a major moment for us to shine on the world stage. Let us remain friendly and hospitable, like we have always been,” Enanga said.
The main routes for the summits will be;-
- Kampala-Entebbe Express way to Speke Resort Munyonyo. This will be the summit route.
- Kampala-Entebbe Express way – Northern bypass – Binaisa road, Mulago Roundabout -Yusuf Lule – Nile Avenue.
The following are the expected Diversions
- At Mpala, Traffic will be diverted to Entebbe Highway.
- At Kisubi, traffic will be diverted to Nakawuka Road and access Kampala city.
- At Kajjansi flyover traffic will be diverted to use Kajjansi fly over to Lubowa – Zana.
- There will be diversions at Serena–Kigo traffic lights, Mutungo–Kitiko traffic lights and Busabala traffic lights for any vehicle sighted along Munyonyo Spur.
- There will be a security check point to screen all vehicles and diversion of motorists at Munyonyo roundabout to face Salaama Road and Buziga.
- Any motorist approaching Munyonyo from Gaba road, will be diverted at UCB Road to access Buziga – Lukuli.
- At Northern bypass, there will be a diversion at Busega flyover and at a slip Road to restrict vehicles from accessing the Kampala-Entebbe Expressway.
- There will be other Traffic diversions along Northern by pass at Sentema, Nansana, Bwaise, Kalerwe, Kyebando and Kisaasi interchange, flyover and slip roads.
- At Bwaise flyover traffic will be diverted to Sir Apollo Kagwa road to access city center.